Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Movin' On Up In Freelance Writing

It's fantastic when you realize you are no longer a newbie. I've been a writer for about 16 months and am now to the point where I think I'm getting pretty knowledgeable at my craft. I'm learning a lot about what is acceptable to me as a writer, what jobs I enjoy, what subjects I'm pretty darn good at and it's showing in the work I'm getting.

Instead of .01/word, I'm now doing much better and am at the point where I'm ready to outsource a bit of my work. This is huge for me. A few months ago I hit a low point and was ready to pack it in and head back to the hamster wheel but today I'm more excited about my job than ever.

I can even see me getting into more creative copywriting and less search engine fodder. I'm even looking at a fiction project which could be pretty exciting. It's been a wild and crazy ride but I'm loving it!

I've had great mentors and am even starting to find a few proteges that are learning from me. I'm also involved in some new and interesting projects that will help me continue to pursue the kind of work I want instead of just the jobs that just pay the bills. It's an exciting time for me and I hope to share more news and helpful tips with my readers.

This is a great industry I'm in because everyone is so sharing and giving. I can't wait to see what I've learned a year from now! If you want to be a writer, you've come to the right place. Check out my blogroll for some helpful advice and tips on getting into freelance writing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great that your career is going so well, Dana, and that you're passing on your advice to others. You have done very well to have a successful career in such a short time, so anyone would be privileged to learn from you.