Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Favourite Writer Blogs - GetPaidToWriteOnline

I've decided to start a series of my favourite freelance writer blogs. I don't have a set criteria for choosing which blogs to feature other than the fact that these blogs provide value to me as a writer.

My first feature has got to be Sharon Hurley Hall's Get Paid To Write Online blog.

I met Sharon in 2006 on a blogging community called WritingUp (it's no longer around but was a great place for a wannabe writer like me to absorb vast amounts of information and make some online friends that I'm still friendly with today). I chatted with Sharon and other writers weekly on a Thursday night writer's chat for several months and shortly after she helped me get some big clients through mentoring me, she even took me onto her writing team for a while until I started to mentor a writing team of my own. I was very lucky to have her help getting started as a writer. I had drive and ambition and she was very willing to share information with me. She didn't even seem to get annoyed at the fact that I followed her around like a baby duck for the first six months of my freelance writing career.

Here are some of the most helpful posts for writers on her site:

How I Put My Site On Steroids

Seven Effective Blogging Habits

Website Promotion Strategies for Writers and Bloggers


and here's a post Sharon wrote for Writing White Papers:

Three Ways To Improve Your Time Management


Sharon has some great stuff on her blog and it's one of the best resources for freelance writers you'll find online! One of her specialties is self-promotion so if you're getting started, her advice can really help you to get noticed online.

8 comments:

Sharon Hurley Hall said...

Thanks, Dana, this was a nice surprise. :)

Lori said...

I agree - she's got a great site! I enjoy following her on Twitter.

Jacky said...

This is a great list. I am new to freelance writing, so I can use ALL the help I can gather! Thanks for posting!

Dana Prince said...

Nice to meet you, Jacky :)
You'll find plenty of helpful blogs in the blogroll and by clicking to visit commenters' blogs.
I'll be checking out your blog :)
Cheers,
Dana

Samantha said...

Thanks for this great list! I'll be reading Sharon's site eagerly today, I'm sure.

Katherine said...

I love Sharon's site, too! :) Lots's of great stuff on there for writers of all levels...

chow and chatter said...

please add a follower icon

Danielle said...

Sharon was my first mentor too and the things I learned from her I still use today, even though I went off on a little bit of a different niche in writing.