Thursday, March 22, 2007

Busy Bee Avoiding Work

You know your project is stale when you do anything you can in orderto avoid it. The deadline is looming, you need the money and you know you ought to get motoring on it but it feels like it’s sucking the life out of you, doesn't it?

What do you do?


Here’s what I did today to avoid it…

I checked Google adsense earnings, helium earnings and all my blogs for any new comments about 3 times each. I also read other people’s blogs looking for anything to keep my mind off it.

I checked my loyalty reward program balances, read some jokes I’ve been saving, did some inbox cleaning then did some desktop tidying on my windows xp desktop. Then I shuffled papers around my actual desk and watched a cartoon with Noah even though he didn’t ask me to.


I logged off and on a few times knowing full well that I really had to get back to it and that the darn things wouldn’t write themselves. I did the obligatory things around the house that needed doing anyway but was certainly in no rush to get back to the computer.

I sat down after dinner dishes and then Noah brought me a teenage mutant ninja turtle that his grandmother and he got at McDonald’s today in his happy meal and asked me, “What’s his name, Mommy?”

I could've guessed or told him I didn't know but I was thrilled to be tasked with something that could let me alt+tab outta that word document! I then spent a few minutes looking up the blue masked turtle on Wikipedia via google. His name is Leonardo by the way.

Then I realized I had a writer’s group chat at 7:00 but it was already 7:45 and I was missing it! Oh Yay…something else to do in order to avoid that project but something actually enticing for once today, wah hoo!


Now here I am, writing this blog. Only 1000 more words to go to hit my goal before I can quit for the night so off I go to make myself do it. I will resist the sudden urge I just had to do some stumbling on ‘stumble upon’.

Oh, what the hey, ten more minutes of procrastination and *then* back to work.

Thanks for procrastinating with me…now you get yourself back to work too, ok?


Cheers,

Dana

No comments: